Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Finished: Boyd St. Bowling Bag

I finally made something!

I bought this pattern as soon as I saw it, and it's been sitting in my stash waiting to be made ever since. Now that I have, I want (and will probably make) about 100 more versions. The pattern is the Boyd St. Bowling Bag by Emmaline Bags, who has some of the most unique bag patterns I've come across. I own a couple of her other patterns, and after sewing this up I can't wait to make them.

When Cotton and Steel was released there were a few designs that caught my eye but I fell hard for the August collection. I'm not really too crazy about all the previous animal trends but lions I can get behind. I'm an August baby as well so maybe I'm biased:) This bag was made using the monarch canvas and dandelion in teal, with a coordinating Free Spirit solid in spark gold for accents. I purchased the hardware kit from Emmaline Bags as well, and I have to say it was really nice not to have to hunt down all the notions. All pieces are interfaced with SF101, along with Thermolam on the lining, as well as peltex for the handles/ bag bottom. I think it took more time to cut all those pieces out than it did to sew.

Close-up of some of the hardware. I want to put hardware on everything now, it makes it look so much more professional!

 The instructions are super detailed and easy to follow with plenty of pictures. Everything went smoothly until I went to sew on the bottom and realized that there was an 1 1/2" difference. At this point I had put so much work into this I was dreading the thought of taking everything apart. I didn't prewash the canvas so I don't know if it was too bulky or shrunk a bit during pressing. I did test the pattern piece on some quilting cotton but I didn't have the same problem. It's still a mystery. Through some careful stretching/ trimming and seam allowances I was able to make it work in the end, although the shape of the bag is not as rounded as it should be.

There is an ingenious way of doing the zipper gusset so the print matches up.

Top stitching is definitely a weak point of mine, so I'm really proud of my half decent attempt.

 I think I almost love the lining more than the exterior! Brandon made me buy this zipper because the color was called monster snot green, and I'm glad I finally found something to use it for.

Optional slip pocket

 This bag is roomy and I love the shape as well as all the bag hardware. There are D rings on the handles/sides,an adjustable shoulder strap with swivel hooks/slider, and 6 purse feet. I do wish I had picked a darker zipper and maybe considered brass hardware. On my next version I think I might try Soft and Stable instead of Thermolam for a little bit more structure, as well as use it on the outside pieces instead of the lining. 

Overall I'm very happy with this bag!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! :) The fabrics look really cute on this bag.... Please DO share it in our Bag Brag Tuesday linking party! :)